Thursday, May 16, 2013

Random Thoughts


  As summer draws near, I’ve already started thinking about the implementation of ELA Common Core Standards in the fall.   I know I want to utilize the ipads in my classroom in a more meaningful way.  In my search for new apps I’ve discovered a few that will be a staple in my classroom the last week of school and the beginning of next year.

1.   Vittle:  This is the easiest movie creation app that I have seen.  You can draw a picture, and then move and size the object.  You can add photos and record your voice.  It is a fun way to create an instruction video or have students explain their learning.  I’ve included the link for the free version.  They have a pricy version that has more options that you can use to create your amazing video.

2.  A Beautiful Mess App:  This app is $0.99 but it is so cute.  It allows you to  “beautify” your pictures with text, borders, and doodles.  I use this new app in my “real” life to doctor photos that I use in instagram.  I plan on letting my students to use this app to illustrate vocabulary words or math terms.  It would also be great when students are writing Haikus, limericks, or other short poems.  They could also take a picture of their book cover and use the app to identify characters, setting, problems, or solutions.

3.   Paper By Fifty Three-This free app lets you share your ideas, sketches, notes, diagrams, and illustrations in a familiar notebook form.  Choose your tool and begin your work.  This is a great app to show how word problems are solved or illustrate vocabulary words.  Students could also diagram a stories plot or take visual notes while reading a nonfiction article.


4.   Croak.it!:  This audio app let’s you record snip-its anywhere.  Students can speak their mind.  They can record their thinking, a poem or song.  They can record themselves reading to listen to see if they are reading fluently.  They can record their observations during an experiment or just talk about the weather.  The possibilities are endless.

5.  Today:  Today my class will use my favorite app in a new different way.  Each student will have an ipad.  Students will take a picture of themselves in Skitch.  They will write their name on the picture.  Students will rotate to each ipad around the room to write something nice about their classmates.  I’ve done this for many years using paper plates.  This year we are going digital.  They will save the pictures in Showbie and I can print them for a great keepsake.

(Disclaimer: I am an app junkie.  I may or may not have a problem with downloading apps.  I’m not sure, but I may or may not have to delete apps daily to make way for new finds.  I wonder if there is a program for my addiction?  )




This is the last Friday Five for this year.  I’ve enjoyed writing them each week and hope that someone has found some useful information each week.  I’m looking forward to the 6th year of Friday Five and learning with you next year.  Follow the blog for those finds that can’t wait until August. 

Have a great Summer!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment